Red Wine and Teeth

It is common sense that red wine and coffee have direct influence on the results of whitening sessions, due to their high concentrations of coloring substances. However, recent studies have shown that the former may be more aggressive in nature than initially thought. Dentists already advise avoiding the consumption of red wine the days after a whitening session. Moreover, the potential hazards of this beverage may be much more complex and complicated at the same time.

Here are the most important fields where red wine can play a big role when consumed on a regular basis:

  • The stains red wine leaves on the surface of teeth are removable either by dental scaling or by regular whitening sessions. There even are toothpastes (abrasive types with high concentration of fluoride) with similar effects, when used on a daily basis. Still, daily consumption may prove counterproductive, leading to thin enamel and to all the oral problems that are associated to this condition.
  • Red wine contains sulfites; this class of substances is used in general for preservation purposes, but in this beverage it may emerge naturally. The problem with sulfites is that they are food allergens, which means that they may trigger various allergies. Although international laws are limited with regard to labeling sulfites, some wine companies choose to do it; but this doesn’t mean they’re not there if they’re not marked on the label. Consuming sulfites might lead to allergies, thus influencing the entire balance in the mouth.
  • Any beverage that contains alcohol raises the levels of acid in the oral cavity, and red wine is no exception to this rule. If you don’t rinse after you drink red wine, you maintain an unhealthy PH level in your mouth, thus helping the formation of an environment favorable to cavity formation.

There is no real immediate danger for teeth in drinking red wine and the incidence of allergic reactions is within safety limits. However, if you care for the impeccable whiteness of your teeth and you’re a regular visitor of your oral hygienist, you should at least rinse your mouth after drinking red wine to reduce its impact on enamel. With proper hygiene and dental care, red wine can be consumed regularly.

Post a Comment

Your email is kept private. Required fields are marked *