The increased popularity of orthodontic treatments
Orthodontic appliances or braces are very common, especially among children and teens. Modern appliances include various options with regard to color (from invisible to multicolored). Tiny fashionable pieces, these braces are very popular today.
Types of dental appliances (braces)
The most important three orthodontic appliances from this category are:
- The traditional appliance with metallic pieces – the fixed dental appliance is made of interconnected metallic pieces, which get stuck on each tooth and apply specific pressures, in order to slowly solve the malposition.
- Clear braces – a more aesthetic alternative to the traditional appliance, using ceramic pieces, less dissonant in relation to the color of teeth.
- Invisible braces – aka lingual, they are placed on the inner part of the teeth.
Alternatives for patients with allergies
The number of patients that are allergic to some metals used for dental appliances is significant. In general, such patients may benefit of any type of dental treatment, with personalized materials. Normally, before starting the regular orthodontic procedures, the dentist will ask for an allergy test in order to check your reaction to the substances that are most commonly associated to such issues. If you’re aware of any allergy to metals you have, inform your dentist and discuss alternatives.
A wide range of colors
There are many varieties of colors you can choose from; if you have difficulties in this matter, ask the stylist’s or your doctor’s advice.
Advantages of a treatment with braces
- The results of such a therapy are quite fast when compared to the solutions you had few years back.
- Chances that the treatment would be fully effective are high when dealing with children and teens.
- The patient can eat and talk easily, without the need of taking the appliance out.
- The treatment implies regular and numerous visits to your dentist in order to adjust the appliance (once a month or even more often in the first phase).
- Some patients note moderate discomfort right after the appliance is adjusted.
- The treatment calls for some food restrictions and respecting specific hygienic rules.